A couple of rudder thoughts to add to this discussion. One is that the early
C&Cs, like the original 1971 rudder on my 30, used mild steel for the webbing
on the SS rudder post. Once water gets in there and the steel rusts, you can
add rust expansion to the ice expansion to destroy the thing - which it most
definitely did - weeping rusty water along the split open seam. I replaced the
rudder with a glass shell/polyester putty filler, all-stainless internal
structure with no welds (by press fitting 1/2” SS round bar sections of
appropriate length through holes spaced around 6” apart along the solid SS
shaft). I know this one will never fail as long as I can keep the water out to
prevent ice expansion. To do that, I ground a trough/groove of about 1/4" in
the fiberglass around the shaft where it enters and filled it with 5200 for
flexibility to deal with expansion/contraction. This was about 20 years ago and
the rudder is showing no signs of anything. I must say that it's REALLY nice to
not even think about the integrity of one's rudder when it’s rough out there. I
also have tiller steering, so I also never worry about anything in the steering
system. I saved my worrying time for other things, like the keel falling off or
plowing into a submerged container.

I’m fortunate with my 39 that Bill Coleman was the previous owner. Since he a
stainless steel native, he designed and built a very nice all-stainless rudder
for his (now my) boat. I sure was surprised when I tapped the rudder with my
sounding hammer to check its integrity when I first looked at the boat - gong.
Hadn’t seen that before! Thanks for the nice rudder Bill!

Rich Klajnscek, P.Eng.
30-9 Ginkgo, Gloucester, MA
39-59 Sea Fox, Hamilton, ON