Peter,

> I've got the old 4000 and many times it doesn't turn the wheel and just
> clicks.

Have you checked the drive pin on the motor pinion gear? I have a 4000 on my
1982 - 37 and the pins bend and/or shear fairly often. Clicking is my usual
clue.

Part of the problem seems to be that the Autohelm uses a metric size pin and
I’ve only found SAE pins.  I have to modify them but haven’t found quite the
right “recipe” yet. The real issue is that the Autohelm wheel unit just seems
undersized for my 37. It is rated for slightly less displacement and in
practice doesn’t enjoy apparent wind above 18kn or downwind very well except in
the light air. In the long run I plan to replace Otto with a below decks
hydraulic or electric unit. In the mean time ….  ;-)

Hans R
S/V Ete’ - 1982 C&C 37
Seattle, WA

Sent from my iPhone