Expanding foam has no structural strength at all and is easily compromised by
water. I would not even think of it for this use.
Joe
Coquina

From: SV Mary Me via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2021 12:19 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: SV Mary Me <svmar...@pm.me>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Stus-List Replacing Cabin/Deck Balsa Core

I've got some soft spots returning on the deck at the base of the mast, that a
previous owner had made an attempt to shore up. According to the owners manual,
the cabin-ceiling/deck sandwich is balsa cored, so I'm working with the
assumption that this has rotted away.

The local supply store has a plastic honeycomb panel to use as a base material
for fibreglass work that could use to fill the space, once the rotted material
is dug out. I also thought about using expanding, self-hardening construction
foam that could be shaved and shaped, then 'glassed over.

Has anyone used, or have any thoughts on using the expanding foam?

s/v Mary Me
1975 C&C 24
Labelle, Florida USA