I got contracted to repair the deck/hull on a Melges 30 a few years ago.
These boats have a round gunwale.  This area is rather thin and flexes a
lot.  The gelcoat kept popping off in slabs.  The owner wanted the gelcoat
repaired.  After I looked at the job, I suggested we repair the deck
without gelcoating and instead cover the deck/hull roundover with EVA
foam.

The EVA was easy to work with.  It looked really good when the job was done.

I completed the job and got good feedback from the race crew about the EVA
foam.  I haven't seen the boat in years so I can't comment on the
longevity, etc.

I used Raptor Deck EVA foam.  They cut the foam in wide strips to my
specification.
--
Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83