Bob,

Maybe it's something you have to see to understand.  Please don't take this
as talking down to you, I'm simply trying to makes sure we are starting
from the same baseline.

VMG (velocity made good) or sometimes CS (course speed) is the speed of
approach to the next way point.  If you point directly at the way point
then boat speed and VMG will be matched.  If you were to point away from
the mark then boat speed and VMG would begin to differ.  The VMG is
calculated by the chartplotter performing vector geometry using cosign of
the angle between your layline and your course line multiplied by boat
speed.  As you move along your course line, the bearing to the mark will
become greater and greater.  This is the function by which boat speed can
increase or stay the same but VMG will decrease.

Assuming wind, wave, and current conditions are all equal on both tacks and
tactics are not a factor - after each gybe VMG should be maximized.  The
helm should work with the sail team to find the course and sail trim that
gets the best VMG.  Shortly after the gybe a baseline will be found and as
you move along the course you will be able watch the VMG start to lower due
to the increasing angle of bearing to the mark.  More than 45° bearing to
the mark and VMG will be less than half of current boat speed.  This is the
very latest point at which you would want to gybe.

Now that you are maximizing VMG, you can start throwing in the other
factors... Tactics probably being the most important followed by the
effects of wind, waves, and current.  It is on these downwind runs that
other boats can sneak up behind you and steal your wind.  Wind shadow can
project a distance of 8 times the height of the object.  The windex points
to the objects that are casting shadow so look behind you for boats where
the arrow is pointing.  You can try to block them from shadowing you by
coming upwind (away from the mark) slightly (reducing VMG)... Eventually
you or your competition is going to lose the fight and have to gybe.

As you approach the mark the rounding is going to have a favored side and
your foredeck is going to have a lot of work so make sure to give them room
to raise the head sail, douse the spin, drop the pole, stow the topping
lift, round the mark, come up to the wind, and possibly tack.  Reset for
the next spin run.

Make sense?

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk