I've heard that the non-union members are known to hook the spin up wrong, so it is flying sideways (or what, 360/3 degrees offset if we want to get particular)

Graham Collins
Secret Plans
C&C 35-III #11

On 2021-10-06 1:49 p.m., Jeff Nelson via CnC-List wrote:
Mike,
You know that all Helms and Tacticians expect the crew to be America's Cup experts.
I guess that's why the Foredeck Union came into being.
:-)

Cheers,
   Jeff Nelson
   Muir Caileag
   C&C 30 - 0549
   Armdale Yacht Club

On 2021-10-06 1:42 p.m., Hoyt, Mike via CnC-List wrote:

Hi Bob

If you are happy with your speed on current angle then gybe when true wind angle is the same on the opposite gybe. Sure sounds simple but most of us gybe too late or too early.

Too early on a light wind day means that you will end up sailing deeper and slower than you intended or performing extra gybes.

Too late on a breezy day means that you will end up with wind more forward than you would prefer and perhaps have a bit of a sporty approach to the mark

And of course contrary to what most tacticians and drivers like to think gybing does involve sail handling and a potential for error.  This can be detrimental to boat speed since not all gybes are performed equally and some can in fact be very amusing to your competitors.  This fact is why there is a Foredeck Union

Mike Hoyt

Persistence

Halifax, NS

send contribution --https://www.paypal.me/stumurray   Thanks - Stu