I have been considering what kind of bottom paint to use in the future and it
seems that most racers have a very hard/smooth/burnished bottom on their boats.
 So, I was wondering if there is data to support that this is important.  One
reason for asking is that in addition to being a sailor, I am also a cyclist.
A few years ago, the hypothesis that was accepted by all cyclists, including
pro teams, was that thin, high pressure tires were the fastest.   Then someone
actually did the experimental science, and found that wider, lower pressure
tires were actually as fast or faster.  Counterintuitive, but data trumps
intuition, and that is why we should test obvious and intuitive assumptions.
So my question is, has anyone seen actual experimental data on comparing
different smoothnesses and type of bottom paint vs. boat speed under controlled
conditions?   Thanks- Dave

S/V Aries
1990 C&C 34+
New London, CT