Dave,

I use Interlux VC Offshore for my race boat, j-24 and Interlux micron WA on
my cruising boat, a 36-1, Talisman, (Which is about three boats behind you
at your winter yard.)

Both boats sit in the Mystic River. I did an original spray job on the 24
three years ago and now just do a touch up roll and tip and then wet sand
down to 1000. I have burnished with steel wool in the past but really do not
think it gets it much better than the 1000 grit. Usually, the mistakes we
make above water more than cancel out anything bottom related!

I just made the switch to the Micron on the 36 and while it is not designed
to be a race bottom paint I really like it. Easy water-based cleanup and
covers great and pretty good protection.

I have found that VC Offshore and Baltoplate seem to be the primary racing
paints used around here and the antifouling characteristics are not that
great. I need to scrub weekly for wed night races and if I am doing a sat
regatta it will need it again.

A lot of locals are using Petit Vivid as well. It is a harder paint than the
ablatives. Not sure if you can actually burnish it.

Practical Sailor has done some good paint review tests but they are not
evaluating speed. Good luck!

John McCrea

Mystic, CT

Talisman