Dennis,

I scavenged a power supply from an old desktop computer.  Well controlled 5V and +/-12V.  The one that I scavenged was a 300W supply.  I use it to run my Garmin Chartplotter during the off season to download trip data.  Computer power supplies are incredibly cheap and the power quality is well regulated.

Neil Schiller
1983 C&C 35-3, #028, "Grace"
Whitehall, Michigan