Hi all,

I'm rebedding most of my deck hardware this spring and have come to my
chainplates. I have a C&C 33 mkii (1986). Inside the boat, a tie rod runs
from the hull up to an aluminum block on the underside of the deck. The
chainplate is attached to the aluminum block by 4 bolts.

The starboard side tie rod has a bit of movement if I really pull on it. My
understanding is that the rod has a head on it that is free to rotate
inside the aluminum block. So I should be able to just turn the tie rod to
tighten it up a bit. Has anyone done this before? Do I need to first loosen
the nuts holding the aluminum block to the chainplate??

Second, I noticed that the nuts on both sides aren't exactly tight. How
tight should these nuts be? Presumably not too tight as that might compress
the deck too much (??).

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Mike
Atacama