Thanks for all the replies.

I was able to fairly easily turn the starboars SS rod that is inside the
boat. The head rotated inside the aluminum block without much resistance. 1
1/2 turns did the trick and got it as tight as the port side rod.

I backed off the nuts on the brass bolts that pass through the deck and did
not see any evidence of water ingress.  I tried removing one of the bolts
but it didn't seem to want to move easily so I decided to leave well enough
alone.  Then I tightened up all 4 nuts on each side with a torque wrench to
be sure everything was uniform.

Mike