The shield of the coax is connected to battery negative back at the VHF. If
stray current is an issue, there may be a bad ground at the base of the mast.
The plastic shim idea can work for this. There are such things as DC blocks for
coax, but I cannot seem to find them with PL259 connectors. GMDSS certified 24
volt radios for ships I think have DC blocks built in to avoid this kind of
thing, but the cost is quite high.

Do you have an issue yourself or are you just worried about it? I have to say I
only ever worried about this with aluminum boats, but that doesn’t mean it
can’t happen to you. I would think grounding the base of the mast back to the
DC ground bus would put all the metal at the same potential. The mast already
should have a heavy wire to a keel bolt.

Joe Della Barba

Coquina C&C 35 MK I

Kent Island MD USA