Hey guys,
Just wanted to confess something that went wrong and I'm still learning.  Had a
major "fail" today trying to rebuild a hydraulic ram for my backstay. Moral of
the story: take it to a qualified service company.

Background:
My local hydraulic repair shop that rebuilt my ram fifteen years ago, was very
busy, short workers, and needed three or four weeks before getting to look at
my leaking ram.  A friend of mine said I might be able to replace the seals
myself.  I checked YouTube and learned a few tricks and found the drawings and
operation manual for Navtec rams, ordered the seal kit online and carefully
disassembled the ram and installed the new seals, o-rings, bearings, etc but
hit a wall trying to put it all back together.   I couldn't get one of the
seals onto the piston and I couldn't get that whole assembly to go into the
cylinder.  It takes special tools and skills, I don't have.

Good news:  I took my kit to my local repair shop today, and explained my
problem, and they looked it over, said most of it looked good, but I nicked one
of the seals, and feeling sorry for me, they ordered me a new part, and put me
ahead on their schedule.

I hate having systems on my boat I can't service myself but I guess some things
are best left to the professional.

Chuck S