Interesting that it only blows the breaker when screwed into the
(aluminum?) toe rail.
Let us know if the nylon screws solve the short. If so, you definitely have
a short in some wiring running in the channel at the deck/hull joint that
is touching a bolt causing a short circuit through the toe rail.

Alternatively, how old is the breaker? The wiring? Original to the boat?

As a marine electrician, I don't even bother diagnosing equipment >40 years
old. My rate is more expensive than replacing old parts with new ones...