Even a broken clock is correct twice a day.

From: Jeffrey A. Laman via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2022 10:40 AM
To: Stus-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Hoyt, Mike <mike.h...@impgroup.com>; Jeffrey A. Laman
<jlam...@outlook.com>
Subject: Stus-List Re: Partially furling the genoa when racing

David,

Reefing the genoa on a furler is routine where I sail and race.  I reef my
main first, then reef my 135 second.  Typically when wind is about 15mph+ I
keep about 5 winds on the furler, making the headsail about 110.  My luff is
foam and will keep the sail shape decent up to about the 5 winds.  Another
boat has a UK sail with very large foam tubes that maintains shape pretty
well when furled.  After 5 winds, the shape gets bad fast on my foam luffed
genoa.  The genoa needs to be capable of being reefed, but I don't know of
anyone I sail with who has a head sail that isn't made to handle reefing.
Have a sail maker look at it if you aren't sure.  As for the furler line
"fighting" the sheets, not really.  Lock the furler in and done.  Sheet the
headsail as you normally would.  Challenge might be moving your cars
forward, then back again as you furl and unfurl.  Also, unfurling is easy.
Furling back on is not.  But, typically our races are to windward start,
then a reach, so start with furled, then let it go around the mark and
finish the race.  Not ideal, but it works better than being overpowered.  A
purist in the fleet scoffs at furlers and says, "You never have the right
sail with a furler." Yea, ok, but I sail solo a lot too, so that's where I
am.

Jeff Laman

81 C&C34

Harmony