From: David Knecht via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2022 4:48 PM
To: CnC CnC discussion list <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: David Knecht <davidakne...@gmail.com>
Subject: Stus-List Re: Partially furling the genoa when racing

Thanks for all the input.  I have 110 and 145 laminate genoas.  In the past,
with >2 crew, I used the 145 until Fall when the winds were strong, but as I
have done more and more single-handed racing (non-spinnaker) in the last few
years, I found the 110 was much easier to handle upwind, so I am currently
rated for that sail (133 vs. 121 for the larger).  I agree that speed is not
significantly compromised upwind (much to my surprise) when it blows 8-10 or
more.  I have done quite well racing with the 110.  It is downwind where I was
wondering if the larger sail would have advantages.  If increased speed
downwind was significant, it might overcome the disadvantage of the sail shape
and wind disruption of partial furling upwind.  Certainly wing on wing, I would
think the larger sail would be significantly faster, but haven’t tested that
yet.  When I get a chance, I will try with the full sail and then partially
furl and see if I can detect a speed difference.  As a scientist, I know that
data rules, so I need to get some, unless someone has done this already.  Dave

S/V Aries
1990 C&C 34+
New London, CT

[cid:4073BE72-4704-4EA7-8EBA-B73B833F502B]

On Sep 12, 2022, at 4:18 PM, ALAN BERGEN via CnC-List

When I was still racing, I used non-furling sails. I started with a 152; then
switched to a 135, and finally to a 110. Each switch gave me a higher PHRF
rating. Switching to a 135 gave me six seconds more, and the 110 gave me an
additional three seconds. Going from a 135 to a 110 cost me very little speed,
but I pointed higher, more than making up for the slightly lower speed. More
often than not I was first to the windward mark. Off the wind I used a
spinnaker, so I didn't need a larger jib.

In answer to your question, I have a furling genoa with foam sandwiched between
sailcloth layers (near the luff). I can sail with the furled genoa and still
have good sail shape. It doesn't damage the sail, but furling on the wind in
heavy air is difficult. I can use a winch, but I have to be careful not to get
overrides. If you don't use a spinnaker, try using the furled genoa and
non-furled genoa, depending on wind conditions. If you have a 110, try racing
with that and get your PHRF rating increased. Another advantage of the smaller
sail is it's easier for the crew to get it all the
way.in<https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fway.in%2F&data=05%7C01%7C%7C94a36a875dab48d80b5708da9500284e%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637986125153185040%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=MYuQYdBxnmwNgILobvDLaJtqR02GYJWDdYyX4g%2FKMe8%3D&reserved=0>
 much faster. Let us know how these suggestions work.

Alan Bergen
35 Mk III Thirsty
Rose City YC
Portland, OR

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 7:12 AM David Knecht via CnC-List
I was talking to the skipper of a J27 who nearly always wins our PHRF class and
he was telling me that while he wins a lot, he struggles in heavier air.  He
said he had recently started partially roller furling his large genoa for
upwind legs and then unfurling downwind when the wind was strong enough to
overpower him.  I have never considered doing that and my larger genoa does not
have “reef points” .  What are the groups thoughts on the value/feasibility of
this?   Any reason it would be bad for the sail?  It certainly would be easier
than putting on my smaller sail when winds are questionable.  I worry about not
only sail shape, but when partially furled, the furler and genoa sheet are
fighting each other, which might not be a good thing for the furler.  Dave

S/V Aries
1990 C&C 34+
New London, CT

<pastedGraphic.tiff>