From: Matt Wolford via CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com]
Sent: 31-Oct-22 9:22 AM
To: 'Stus-List'
Cc: wolf...@erie.net
Subject: Stus-List Vang repair

Listers:

        I'm about to undertake a repair and could use some advice.  On an
overnight delivery in August we were on a broad reach in large waves and the
main unexpectedly jibed.  We promptly put on a preventer.  In the morning I
found 8 sheared off cap socket screws from the boom vang lying on the deck.

        The vang is secured with a fitting that can be moved fore and aft in a
channel on the underside of the boom.  The channel runs the length of the boom.
 Whoever installed the fitting originally found a suitable location for the
vang and drilled/tapped holes to securely mount the fitting into a piece of
aluminum that is integral to the channel inside the boom.  Inspection of the
holes indicates that several were damaged when the cap socket screws were
sheared.  I'm glad no one was near that boom when the main jibed.

        My options are: 1) move the vang fitting and drill/tap new holes; 2)
drill/tap the existing holes with larger bolts (which may be too large to fit
in the vang fitting); or 3) install helicoil inserts in the existing holes
(which I've never used before).  Thoughts?

        Matt
        C&C 42 Custom