My feeling about boat shopping is that you will know her when you see her.

On 2/23/2023 4:48 AM, Danny Haughey via CnC-List wrote:
I'm not sure there is much research that went into this comment.  Most of the boats you listed have been around for decades and some are amazingly designed and of high quality construction.  I think Andy was talking more about the triangular shaped, (in plan) modern boats that are almost catamaran-like.  These boats are, lightweight, flat bottomed boats, with a hard chine on each side,  In essence, creating 2 hulls, one for each tack.  However, the interior vary, Moody's interior are very traditional, with plenty of wood, curved corners and plenty of hand holds.  The older Hylas, oyster, Holland boats, I'm looking at are pretty traditional.  One is even designed by Sparkman and Stevens. This will be our 4th sail boat, hence, our 4th shopping experience, and one thing I can say with certainty, is there are plenty of surprises in boat shopping.  You simply can't make these sweeping generalizations with any degree of certainty. There are some beautifully fitted out Bavaria's from the late 90s early 2000s.  The boat shows simply can't be a real gauge of the used boat market.  Hell, Catalina actually produced an amazingly well build 38 footer that was designed by Sparkman and Stevens with plywood cored decks and solid fiberglass hull. Making an argument as to why you're hanging onto your boat is great.  But to dismiss quality brans, wholesale like that, is just not helpful banter.  Thanks for the input, though.
Danny

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Richard Bush via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
To: "cnc-list@cnc-list.com" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Richard Bush <bushma...@aol.com>
Subject: Stus-List Re: Boats to avoid; formerly- Boatless again
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 04:00:47 +0000 (UTC)

I was pleased to read Andrew Burton's comments about the modern trendy boats (hylas, oyster, moody, Holland, Bavaria, Dufour etc., ); when someasked him what to avoid, he said..."... I’m just not a fan of that ilk. Plus the interiors tend to be a bit ikea-ish with lots of sharp corners and few handholds."

Andy, thank you, thank you; I have long felt that way, and it is nice to hear a person with your experience (and credentials) finally say it! That is a major reason I have held on to my C&C 37;  boats that can provide what it provides are going to cost 10 times what I have in my boat and don't handle as well..!
Richard
s/v Bushmark4: 1085 C&C 37 CB; Ohio River, Mile 596;
Richard N. Bush Law Offices
2950 Breckenridge Lane, Suite Nine
Louisville, Kentucky 40220
(502) 584-7255