Martin,

I found a lot of humor in your description in that I pulled a similar stunt with a Naval Academy 44 yawl racing from Biloxi to Isla Mujeres Mexico. Just NW of Cuba (1967), hit by a squall at oh-dark-thirty, spreaders in water, cut spin halyard.  In that race, the only time we had significant wind was at night.  We laugh after the fact.

Don Kern
C&C35 Mk2, /Fireball/
Bristol, RI