Hi Dave,
I did a similar winch installation on my previous C&C 29-2. I mounted Barient
ST24 winches in place of the existing Barient 18's. Instead of using and
aluminum adapter, the ones I fabricated were made from 1/4" thick stainless
steel. I was concerned that tapping the aluminum would not be strong enough.
The new winches were primary winches and they would see higher loads than a
halyard winch would. A nice advantage was being able to remove the winches for
servicing without having another person hold the bolt head as I loosened the
nut from under the deck.
Ted DrossosC&C 110Lady in Red

Thanks for your help.
Stu