My 20 year old Dacron "delivery" sail got shredded in Hurricane Sally.  I
was quoted $3600-3800 for a Dacron crosscut 155 for my 35-1 by Ullman and
North.  I went with a different sailmaker who came to the boat, measured
and ordered it from Quantum's offshore manufacturing facility in Sri
Lanka.  $2700 delivered to my door.  Probably not the greatest sail I've
owned but definitely acceptable for day sailing and cruising.

Local lofts are good but I think offshore sails can be a good deal.  If a
local sailmaker measures and orders the sail, you get the benefit of a
local guy and the efficiency of offshore manufacture.  I suspect the
offshore manufacturing facilities have proceduralized manufacturing and
quality control.  Your local loft may not have that.  I've bought many
sails over the years.  The only two issues I've had were with the local
loft's manufacturing.  I've only had two offshore sails but never had an
issue with either.  Both arrived with a quality control checklist in the
box.

The most important thing is the local sailmaker's knowledge of local
sailing conditions and the performance characteristics of your boat.

--
Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83

On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 9:35 AM Bob Mann via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:

> I paid $5400 two years ago in Detroit for a lt/med 155 for my 35 mk I.
>
> Bob
>
> On 03/18/2023 9:54 AM CHARLES SCHEAFFER via CnC-List <
> cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>

> Sail costs:  A new light air genoa was quoted at $5200 for my 36 footer,
> so I decided instead to have repairs made to my old sails.   They repaired
> my #2 for $700.  They will alter my #3 for a little more.  They are
> removing horizontal battens and installing vertical battens, and adding UV,
> so it can be furled.  I've chosen to use Chesapeake Sailmakers because they
> are service oriented, came out and measured my rig before I spent any
> money, and they took time to evaluate my sails and offer options.
>
> Wonder what others are paying for new sails and/or repairs.
>
> Chuck Scheaffer, Resolute 1989 C&C 34R, Annapolis
> Please show your appreciation for this list and the Photo Album site and
> help me pay the associated bills. Make a contribution at:
> https://www.paypal.me/stumurray
> Thanks for your help.
> Stu
>
> Please show your appreciation for this list and the Photo Album site and
> help me pay the associated bills.  Make a contribution at:
> https://www.paypal.me/stumurray
> Thanks for your help.
> Stu
Thanks for your help.