I guess I am a hard  core "club" racer who buys racing sails when the current sail becomes too deformed for racing, de-laminates or not enuf of remains after it blew out. I have not replaced a sail that was younger then 20 yrs old.  In fact my Hood Vectron mainsail is twenty years old and still holding decent shape.  The mainsail/rig was modified by factory for IOR and has two feet off the boom, thus the #1, #2 and #3 genoas are all bigger than my main and are the real power sails.  Since the new sail will be fairly expensive, I get competitive quotes from the local lofts being North, Quantum, Doyle and in the past Hood (now Quantum).  My foretriangle is a standard C&C 35-2 that resides in their databases, with all lofts are located around Narragansett Bay they understand the local and offshore conditions and can quote an appropriate wind range for the sail (material strength/size).  In every case, in selecting a sail, the loft will send out a very knowledgeable racer who will take measurements, note my sail track layout and discuss the wind range for the size. The sails are then manufactured overseas, but with the last two sails, they went back to loft for minor adjustment and to add spreader and stanchion patches after their representative sailed on the boat.  I have even had their representative, while racing on another boat, take pictures of my boat an advise me on better sail adjustment and crew placement.

Bottom line is in the forty years of owning this boat I have bought the more expensive sails for racing that have lasted for years and when cruising use their older cousins that still can be hoisted.

Don Kern
/Fireball/, C&C35 Mk2
Bristol, RI