Hello all,
I have attempted to search the archives for information and opinions on new
primary winches for C&C34, but was not able to locate a discussion.  If there
has been, my apologies.  It has become apparent that the old, Lewmar,
self-tailing, 2-spd winches that came on my boat are not adequate -- in a
moderate wind with a 155 genoa it takes two crew cranking with all their
strength to bring the sheet in far enough.  I and the crew are not getting
younger, either -- average age about 65 to 70.  I don't know the details of
gear ratios and power ratio for these old Lewmars, but am investigating so I
have that as a reference.  If any of you C&C34, or similar sized boat, owners
have recommendations for replacement, 2-spd, self-tailing winches, I would be
grateful.  I frequently sail solo and hope to be able to continue for another
10 to 15 years (if I live to be 80!), so I need to factor that in the decision.
 Also, any experiences or recommendations for the actual removal and
installation would be great too!  Thanks.

Jeff Laman
1981 C&C34 Harmony
Ludington, MI
Thanks for your help.