Persistence came to us with Electric Lewmar 43ST winches for the primaries.
There were no secondaries.  For cruising ease the primaries had been located
where secondaries normally would be and the mounting locations for the original
primaries were faired and painted over.  The second set of manual Lewmar 43ST
winches were mounted on the cabin top for use as halyard winches.  THIS WAS WAY
OVERKILL!

ST43 as halyard winches way larger than necessary.  Jib trimmers facing
backward to trim genoa was awkward to say the least.  So we moved the cabin top
Lewmar 43ST back to the original primary location and replaced cabin top
halyard winches with Lewmar 30ST (Ocean series I believe)

This still left us with electric Lewmar 43 ST.  First of all an electric winch
can be nasty.  An inexperienced trimmer can damage the headsail using one.  We
always had the switches turned off and used as a manual winch.  Secondly these
were AWFUL to maintain.  To service the winches the motor has to be dropped
from beneath before the drums can come off to clean and lubricate the gears,
pawls, etc ...  Due to this and due to the lack of accessibility from beneath
to do this these winches were rarely serviced and never properly.  When running
the spinnaker on these secondaries they were stiff and made spin handling more
problematic than it should be (due to the lack of east servicing).

In the end we traded these to someone with a pilothouse 44 foot boat for a set
of new Lewmar 40 ST that are far superior for our purposes.  On top of the ease
of servicing and better sizing for the boat removing the motors took away a LOT
of unnecessary weight

Just a story I thought I would share

We are very happy with all of our Lewmar winches BTW

Mike Hoyt
Persistence
Halifax, NS