We added the Balmar SG200 Battery Monitor to our boat a couple of years
ago. We have three battery banks, one engine start battery, and two house
banks of 300 amp/hour each (700 amp/hour total).  It seems to be a very
accurate system, giving lots of useful info on your Smartphone or iPad.

This is the version with no display, and a Bluetooth gateway: Balmar SG205
Smartgauge Battery Monitor with SmartShunt & Bluetooth® Gateway

https://ca.binnacle.com/pdf/Balmar%20SG205%20Brochure.pdf

More info here:  https://balmar.net/application/marine/battery-monitors/

Panbo review here:
https://panbo.com/balmar-sg200-a-good-battery-monitor-gets-better/

On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 at 16:40, CHARLES SCHEAFFER via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> Just reporting back that I changed my two AGM group 31s yesterday with two
> new AGM group 31s.  I thought 31's were a little bit bigger than 27's.
> Either size fits in my OEM battery boxes.  I still have the original
> battery switch, "off, one, both, two" so either battery can start or power
> the house loads.  It's not state of the art, but works.  I can't justify
> the cost to upgrade to lithium.  The batteries are very close to AGMs now,
> but the extra controllers needed to do a proper install push this upgrade
> to $2500 to $3000.  I'll probably sell my boat in a few years, so I won't
> give in to the lithium temptation.
>
> I added a $120 Victron "smart shunt" which I recommend to others when
> replacing batteries.  This device reads the amps going through the negative
> back to the battery, which wirelessly sends battery info to any smart
> phone, no display needed.
>
> Just for fun, I recorded all the loads in my boat, so I can better plan.
> It verified that my fridge only uses 48 watts when it runs and the LED
> lights and Canframo fans are super efficient.  I still need to change a
> couple of flourescent light fixtures that draw the highest amps, to LEDs.

> years, I'd upgrade to a Lithium system and add solar.  Otherwise, I will
> use my AGM batteries and might add a third AGM for more amphours when
> cruising.  The new batteries were 72# each, ugh.
>
> Chuck Scheaffer, Resolute 1989 C&C 34R, Annapolis
> Please show your appreciation for this list and the Photo Album site and
> help me pay the associated bills.  Make a contribution at:
> https://www.paypal.me/stumurray
> Thanks for your help.
> Stu
Thanks for your help.