When I relocated our winches, I used a trick from the West System manual to get
a nice flat surface for the winch on a crowned coachtop.  I epoxied 1/4" piece
of G-10, cut to the size of the winch base and epoxied that to the coach roof.
Before glassing it down, I located the holes in the plate and on the coachroof.
 To seal the core, I drilled those holes to 3/4", dug out the balsa a further
1/4 back taped underneath, and primed with neat epoxy, and filled the whole
cavity with thickened epoxy.  I epoxied the plate on to the coachtop and after
it was cured, drilled the proper sized holes and countersunk them for bedding.
I added the original aluminum backing backing plate, underneath and bedded,
using Butyl.

I've used that trick several times since to add Solar Fans to the crowned drck,
and raise deckfills, and deck hardware.  It's not as complicated as it sounds.
I made my own 1/4" thick backing plates, but G-10 is much more convenient.  It
has a smooth finished surface and is available in so many thicknesses.

Chuck S

> On 03/22/2024 8:23 PM EDT Dean McNeill via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
> wrote:
>

> I'm about to finally replace my old 2 speed Barient 25 primary winches on my
> C&C 34, with Harken 46 Self tailing winches.
> Anyone have experience doing a similar swap? I fully expect I’ll need to fill
> old holes and drill new ones. And probably glass in aluminum or plywood
> backing plates.
>
> Any other hints and tips?
>
> Thanks, Dean
> BarraWind
> 1980 C&C 34
> Halifax, NS
>

> Please show your appreciation for this list and the Photo Album site and help
> me pay the associated bills.  Make a contribution at:
> https://www.paypal.me/stumurray
> Thanks for your help.
> Stu
Thanks for your help.