As I suspected.  It does have a compression release or decompression lever(s).
Make sure they are all to the outboard position (45°), not vertical.

https://l-36.com/read_pdf.php?page=11&file=manuals11/200152_Rev1-M20-M30-5416-5421_Technical_Man&title=Universal_Diesel__5416_____Technical_Manual

Josh

Thanks for your help.
Stu