While you do it, could you take notes of the things you had to do, and consider writing them up into a "How to" article for the wiki?

-- David Lee

Dan White wrote:
This looks hopeful.
I will try it and let you know !

On Jan 16, 2012, at 6:27 AM, Stuart Sears wrote:

Hi Dan,

On 13/01/12 21:20, Dan White wrote:
[...]
It asks me to pick the NIC to run from. These servers have 4 built-in
ethernet ports. I found that a bit surprising as I defined only one
port (eth0) in the cobbler system. I would hope it would take that
and run with it. Had I defined more than one, I could understand the
query.
You need a --ksdevice=eth0 argument to the kernel
add it to your 'kernel-options' for the system record.

Cobbler doesn't actually do the installation, it just creates a
kickstart file, which is processed by anaconda. Anaconda has no idea
which of the 4 devices you have you would like to install through.
This has been an 'interesting' point of discussion for a long time now,
as I recall.

After that, the kickstart ran as expected, up to and including the
reboot.

During reboot, I removed the USB thumb, expecting its job finished. When the machine comes back up, it fails to load the operating
system. I did not record the exact screen messages, but it indicated
(to me) a corrupted OS load.

I found a cause for this, but not a solution:  The contents of the
USB flash drive had been overwritten during the OS installation
process !  I have write-protectable USB flash drives from
RiData/RiTek (product name: Twister), but did not have one handy to
try.

The ISO I put onto this USB thumb (at least twice) totally failed to
load my server as expected.
Does it boot with the usb key in afterwards? (see my bootloader comment
below)

On a happy note, the same ISO burned onto a CD-ROM and re-attempted
with a CD drive ran like a champ. I do not have the luxury to do a
lot of pounding on this, but I will try it once more with a
write-protectable USB flash drive to see what happens.
This is a kickstart default, not a cobbler problem.
check the rendered kickstart for a line like this:

clearpart --all

This is probably what is doing that.
It may well be installing the bootloader on the usb stick for all I
know. If you know the names of the internal disks then you can put

clearpart --all --drives=sda (for example)

Alternatively anaconda/kickstart has an 'ignoredisk' option you can use
to avoid this.

ignoredisk --onlyuse sda

(or possibly /dev/sda. Can't remember right now)

At this point, I'd advise folks to waste the CD's than fuss with a
USB thumb.

I have an alternate workflow to suggest for this, but I will post it
separately

Finally, would you consider this a "bug" ?  If so, I will report it
that way as well.
No. not in cobbler at any rate.

Stuart
--