Hi everybody,
Dan White<y...@comcast.net>  wrote:

On Nov 10, 2011, at 1:11 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:

On 11/10/2011 09:47 AM, Dan White wrote:
I have set up a cobbler server to kickstart/build HP ProLiant boxen of various
flavors with RHEL5

I have a particularly stubborn DL380 G5 that refuses to be
PXE-booted/net-installed

I suspect a FUBAR from the guy that manages the DNS/DHCP, but I need more
evidence.

When it tries to PXE-boot, I get "PXE-E11: ARP Timeout" a few times and then,
maybe, it will proceed.
I've seen issues somewhat similar on switches that take a long time to run
spanning tree protocol checks before bringing up the port.  Disabling that
(port-fast in cisco lingo I think) helps.
OK, that could explain the PXE-boot problem, but what about the other part ?

When it gets into anaconda, it hangs on a screen that says:
-----------------------
Error downloading kickstart file:

Unable to download the kickstart file.  Please modify the
kickstart parameter below or press Cancel to proceed as an
iteractive installation.

http://<IP of cobbler server>/cblr/svc/op/ks/system/<system name from Cobbler>
------------------------
The URL is not the problem.  I can type that URL into any other machine on the
network and get the kickstart file.
On the suggestion of a co-worker, I booted the same G5 with a CentOS 6 LiveCD,
configured its network interface and was able to bring up the kickstart file in
a ForeFox browser.

I have loaded/booted several other machines from this samre server, so I am
confident that the problem is not on the cobbler server.  Being able to get to
the KS file with the CentOS LiveCD says to me that the G5 is not the problem. I
suspect the problem is somewhere between the two machines.
I have encountered this twice in recent days.  In each case, I just
rebooted the target, and this time it worked.  Sure would like to know
what's causing this.
In do have the same problem: During pre-install it says

Error downloading kickstart file

when I then just hit o.k. WITHOUT changing the location of the kickstart file it works! Could that be a too short timeout? Why doens't it work the first time it tries to get the kickstart file from the server?

Cheers,
Jens