On 02/06/2012 10:58 AM, Michael DeHaan wrote:
> Cole --
>
> What's the workaround to auto-start Xen PV's?  (or is there not a way?)
>
> Seems like we could just implement this however needed (if xenpv
 do this
> instead
), if virtinstall won't do it for us.

The autostarting code could just be conditionally enabled if virt-install is
new enough (just a grep of the help output) so that's not the issue.

The issue is that current koan code manually passed a kernel + initrd for the
PV guest to boot. That's the only install scenario for PV guests AFAICT. And
this is only available via the virt-install in a version newer than what's in
RHEL5.

The workaround could be to make PV installs work like qcreate install_location
installs, which is basically the same as direct kernel/initrd boot but you
rely on virt-install to pull the kernel/initrd from the install tree. Since
cobbler tracks this info it would probably 'just work' with a tiny patch but
someone would need to test. And this has been supported on virt-install
command line since probably rhel5.1

Thanks,
Cole