Thanks for the quick reply!  I appreciate your help, as I'm still
learning cobbler.  Reply inline.

On Thursday, February 16, 2012, Michael DeHaan elucidated thus:
> On Wednesday, February 15, 2012 at 9:28 PM, Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> > So, this problem:
> >
> > Doing koan installs and allowing auto-register gives me a system
> > with "localhost" as the host name and a weird floating point
> > number as the system name in Cobbler, instead of what I expected,
> > which was the value I provided to koan as --virt-name.
>
> Sure, there's a reason for that:
>
>       if self.hostname != "" and self.hostname != "*AUTO*":
>             hostname = self.hostname
>             sysname = self.hostname
>         else:
>             hostname = socket.getfqdn()
>             if hostname == "localhost.localdomain":
>                 if self.hostname == '*AUTO*':
>                     hostname = ""
>                     sysname = str(time.time())
>                 else:
>                     raise InfoException("must specify --fqdn, could
> not discover") if sysname == "":
>
>                 sysname = hostname
>
> Basically socket.getfqdn() just returned localhost, since it was
> unable to get a hostname at that time, resulting in the time of
> registration being used as the system name.   Using the IP wouldn't
> make sense because it might change.

OK, I understand that that there was no hostname assigned.  However, how
do you assign one when you're installing with koan and --profile?  I
supplied a --virt-name, which I expected to be the name it used to auto-
register the machine. There could be a way to specify a hostname when
doing a 'koan --profile' install, but I'm not seeing it.

> > lead to this attempted solution:
> >
> > I defined a system using the profile I wanted, and then try to run
> > koan with --system=SYSTEM_NAME.
> >
> > which lead to this problem:
> >
> > System installs fine, but the kickstart meta data does not take
> > affect; in this case, the chef job that was run when I installed
> > via --profile was not run when I installed via a --system= that
> > used the same previously mentioned profile.
>
> You might be using different kickstart templates if you assigned
> --kickstart to the system.   Hard to tell without seeing more.
>
> I would find it unlikely that the metadata merger is broken as that's
> a pretty core piece of functionality.

In the profile I have:

Kickstart: /var/lib/cobbler/kickstarts/el6.ks

Kickstart Metadata: chef_args=-j
http://ourbuildserver:8080/job/infra_lab/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/chef/solo/iu_jenkins_builder.json

user_packages=@Development Tools,koan

In the system, Kickstart and Kickstart Metadata are blank (I had tried
putting <<inherit>> in there when I defined the system, but when I
saved, it blanked it out.

My install command line was:

koan --virt --virt-name="test-jk-el6-64" --profile=builder-el6-x86_64 --
server=ourcobblerserver --virt-path=VolGroupName

It followed all the specs of the profile except for the Kickstart
Metadata.

> > which lead to this attempt:
> >
> > koan --virt --profile=builder-el6-x86_64
> > --system=builder-el6-64-01\ --server=cobbler.example.com
> > (http://cobbler.example.com) --virt-path=vg_group
> >
> > which lead to this interesting bug:
> >
> > - looking for Cobbler at http://cobbler.example.com:80/cobbler_api
> > - reading URL:
> > http://172.29.1.101/cblr/svc/op/ks/system/builder-el6- x86_64
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> > <snip>
> > raise HTTPError(req.get_full_url(), code, msg, hdrs, fp)
> > HTTPError: HTTP Error 404: NOT FOUND
> >
> > Why was it trying to pull the profile from the system section of
> > the API?
> >
> > Can't you "override" the profile when you specify a system?
>
> Kickstart metadata is hash merged such that ks meta values in the
> profile blend with the system, with the system replacing any keys
> defined in the system.   Though if you had a key set in the profile
> and not in the system, it would obviously remain.

OK, I understand that. However, please look at the error again.  When I
specify both the profile and the builder, it tries to pull the *PROFILE*
from /system/

/cblr/svc/op/ks/system/builder-el6-x86_64

instead of from

/cblr/svc/op/ks/profile/builder-el6-x86_64

The latter one works.

Joshua J. Kugler - Fairbanks, Alaska
Azariah Enterprises - Programming and Website Design
jos...@azariah.com - Jabber: pedah...@gmail.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0x73B13B6A