On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Daniel Kertby <ker...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Greg for your input and feedback, really appreciated!
>
> How exposed is the cobbler part of Red Hat Network Satellite? Is it
> possible to use the cobbler command directly or will it break
> any metadata within RHNS?

I could be wrong, but I believe you can use the cli just fine.
Haven't done it myself, just trying to remember.  Quick look in
Getting started guide shows this:

https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Network_Satellite/5.4/html/Getting_Started_Guide/sect-Getting_Started_Guide-Advanced_Commands-Cobbler.html

> We need to do some tweaking on the distros(metadata) etc.
> If Red Hat Network Satellite is the way to go for commercial support,
> will that in any way directly gain the Cobbler project?

Well... I'm going to say that the future of Satellite (based on
Spacewalk) is in question.  It seems that Red Hat wants to get rid of
it and replace it with System Engine, but it also seems like customer
demand is already keeping it more active than the powers that be might
want.

that all being said, I'm not privy to any special information on this,
that is just my conjecture based on talking to RH about road maps and
such at the Summit.

Also, based on that expressed desire by RH to replace it, maybe the
SuSE Manager would be a better support route?  Based on their web site
they do support RHEL4-6.

https://www.suse.com/products/suse-manager/technical-information/#Managed_Servers

I'd just hit both up and push for information.

-greg