We are running 2.2.3-2 on a host running Scientific Linux 6.3.

In this past two days, my colleague and I have tried to PXE boot Ubuntu 12.04
LTS server (note, it's 12.04, not 12.04.1). After quite a lot trial and errors,
we got the PXE boot setup partially going - partially, because Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
has a bad apt-get bug that may cause PXE-boot failures randomly.

In short, our experience is not pleasant. Despite info from
https://github.com/cobbler/cobbler/wiki/Distribution%20support and
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Cobbler/Import may give the impression that
everything should be ready to go, the reality is far from it.

A couple of examples:

0. The initrd and kernel attributes of the import-generated distro are useless.
1. The import doesn't create a ready to use distro and profile. Unless, the
--os-version is specified.

1. is particularly subtle: The PXE part will work - the to be PXE-booted client
will download kernel and initrd and boot into installer, but it seems that this
installer is not able to talk to network (interfaces will be down, and no dhcp
request for an address will occur) and finally it will complain about not being
able to mount cdrom!  We got around by replacing these two entries with what
Ubuntu provides for netboot.

There are other issues with Ubuntu's kickstart support too.

The mailing list archive doesn't seem to have significant information either.

What should we do if we would like to support Ubuntu and FreeBSD? Should we
move to the 2.4 branch?  Will we have an easier life w.r.t. Ubuntu and FreeBSD
support?

Regards,

-- Zack