Hi Jörgen,

Thanks for sharing your experience. For everyone's good, lets compare notes
then.

We use import for quick testing, we certainly can mirror Ubuntu's official repo
too. After importing, we got:

Initrd
/var/www/cobbler/ks_mirror/ubuntu/install/initrd.gz
Kernel                         :
/var/www/cobbler/ks_mirror/ubuntu/install/vmlinuz

But as I noted in my first post: these two do not allow network installation.
The PXE part will work but then the network install would stall due to
inability to do network communication.

We got around by using the following:

Initrd                         :
/var/www/cobbler/ks_mirror/ubuntu-x86_64/install/netboot/ubuntu-installer/amd64/initrd.gz
Kernel                         :
/var/www/cobbler/ks_mirror/ubuntu-x86_64/install/netboot/ubuntu-installer/amd64/linux

But even with these two, don't expect smooth sailing!

> Note: i dont use the import distro feature
>
> There's also a bug in the initrd as shipped with 12.04 wrt to the
> installer when using a custom mirror (the installer is replacing
> your specified mirror with gb.archive.ubuntu.com if i recall
> correctly). I worked around it by downloading an daily cdrom image
> and use the kernel/initrd from that.

Similar to what we did as shown above.

IMHO this is not really a cobbler's fault.  But Ubuntu's.  I have a
rather dim view about using Ubuntu for running servers, especially
heavily virtualized ones.  The bridge networking defaults, the inability to
keep certain sysctl settings persistently (a bug that got reported back in 2006
and still not fixed yet!) and so on. Don't
even get me started :-(

> --
> Jörgen

OK, so in summary, starting from 2.2.3, Ubuntu support is workable, if one
knows how to get around *Ubuntu's bugs*.  James, any comments from you?

Now onto BSD, that's for our "spare time" :-)

Regards,

-- Zack
[...]