Happy ending with a Homer Simpson "D-oh!" and a smack of the heel of the hand
to the forehead.

In copying previous system definitions to make new ones, the netmask and
nameserver info got dropped.
The resulting boot options on the buildISO disc contained "dns=<blank space>"
A co-worker discovered this by interrupting the Grub menu screen and bringing
up the options line.
By removing that, the installation was able to proceed.
Once I knew what was causing the problem, the dropped dns/netmask info popped
right out.

Thanks, Zack, for responding and offering helpful suggestions.

It all comes down to a bit of PEBCAK  :P