> On 12/08/2013 06:10 PM, Khalid Hosein wrote:
> >
> >     On 11/27/2013 10:51 AM, Khalid Hosein wrote:
> >      > Hello everyone,
> >      >
> >      > I'd like to do the following:
> >      >
> >      > Have Cobbler manage BIND for me for a given zone (e.g.
> >     example.com <http://example.com>
> >      > <http://example.com>), *and* still be able to add my own custom
> >     records
> >      > (e.g. www.example.com <http://www.example.com>
> >     <http://www.example.com>, stuff.example.com <
> http://stuff.example.com>
> >      > <http://stuff.example.com>).
> >      >
> >      > I've tested creating a zone template file in
> >      > /etc/cobbler/zone_templates/ but that seems to override the zone
> file
> >      > that Cobbler tries to create itself.
> >
> >     You need $host_record in your template for cobbler to insert the
> records
> >     it manages.
> >
> > Thanks Orion - Oh how I wish it were that simple! I've been able to have
> > Cobbler successfully manage BIND.
> >
> > The question is whether I can *add* DNS records to BIND outside of (in
> > addition to) the ones that Cobbler generates and adds to BIND.
> >
> > (I don't see anything in the documentation or the mailing list archives
> > that indicates this is possible.)
>
> Just list those entries in the template as well. Or am I missing
> something else?

So the /etc/cobbler/named.template is the template file for
/etc/named.conf, and the zone template files are in
/etc/cobbler/zone_templates/, right?

Let's say I'm using Cobbler to manage the example.com domain. I add a bunch
of Cobbler systems and in particular, I use the --dns-name flag to specify
the systems' domain names (e.g. websvr1.example.com). Now when I run
'cobbler sync', Cobbler will magically create named.conf, and the
example.com zone file in /var/named/.

However, if I manually create a
/etc/cobbler/zone_templates/example.comand add some records into that
file, the next time I run 'cobbler sync',
the only thing that shows up in /var/named/example.com will be these manual
records and *none* of the 'magic' ones like in the previous scenario.

Based on my testing and what it says in this page, it seems that having an
aggregated set of manual and automatic DNS records isn't possible, although
it sure would be nice!

Thanks for reading this far!

_Khalid