    <http://stuff.example.com> <http://stuff.example.com>
     >      > <http://stuff.example.com>).
     >      >
     >      > I've tested creating a zone template file in
     >      > /etc/cobbler/zone_templates/ but that seems to override
    the zone file
     >      > that Cobbler tries to create itself.
     >
     >     You need $host_record in your template for cobbler to insert
    the records
     >     it manages.
     >
     > Thanks Orion - Oh how I wish it were that simple! I've been able
    to have
     > Cobbler successfully manage BIND.
     >
     > The question is whether I can *add* DNS records to BIND outside
    of (in
     > addition to) the ones that Cobbler generates and adds to BIND.
     >
     > (I don't see anything in the documentation or the mailing list
    archives
     > that indicates this is possible.)

    Just list those entries in the template as well. Or am I missing
    something else?

So the /etc/cobbler/named.template is the template file for
/etc/named.conf, and the zone template files are in
/etc/cobbler/zone_templates/, right?

Let's say I'm using Cobbler to manage the example.com
<http://example.com> domain. I add a bunch of Cobbler systems and in
particular, I use the --dns-name flag to specify the systems' domain
names (e.g. websvr1.example.com <http://websvr1.example.com>). Now when
I run 'cobbler sync', Cobbler will magically create named.conf, and the
example.com <http://example.com> zone file in /var/named/.

However, if I manually create a /etc/cobbler/zone_templates/example.com
<http://example.com> and add some records into that file, the next time
I run 'cobbler sync', the only thing that shows up in
/var/named/example.com <http://example.com> will be these manual records
and *none* of the 'magic' ones like in the previous scenario.

Based on my testing and what it says in this page, it seems that having
an aggregated set of manual and automatic DNS records isn't possible,
although it sure would be nice!

Thanks for reading this far!

_Khalid

In the zone_template file, you need to have both your manual records as well as the $host_record line. The /var/named/.../example.com file will then have the $host_record line replaced with the cobbler managed files.

There may also be a config option to turn on dns zone templates, not sure.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  or...@cora.nwra.com