COBirders,

I am not going to give a definitive answer to what species this hummingbird is
but thought I would put my thoughts out there.

First, I do not believe this bird is a Calliope.  There is virtually no buff
color to the sides and the undersides are very clean and mostly white looking.
I do think the bill looks relatively short but this is not a great feature to
go by except in the most extremes.  The tail is rounded looking which in my
experience Calliopes have almost a squared-off looking tail.

I am not great at aging birds but this bird appears to be in fresh plumage and
it is August so I would guess it is an immature bird.  If it is an immature
then I suppose things are probably a little tougher in that I am not sure how
sizes may vary in immatures.  But given what we can see in the video I think we
can narrow this bird down to one of two species, MAYBE a third.  My thoughts
are that this bird is either a Ruby-throated or a Costa's.  I suppose
Black-chinned could be considered but I grew up with Black-chins and saw them
throughout the full season and in all the years of watching them I never saw
birds that were this white underneath and as contrasty as this bird.  That
certainly does not mean it could not happen.

I think the clean white throat is very suggestive of the Ruby-throated as most
black-chinned should show some dusky coloring or little spots, I am sure there
can be exceptions.  The undertail, although there are very few places you can
see it in the video, appears to be light/white which also seems to be in favor
of Ruby-throated.

Or maybe it is a Costa's.  The bird is very "fat" looking which I associate
with Costa's more than either Ruby-throated or Black-chinned.  In some views on
the video the bird does look more dusky below than white which is good for
Costa's.  The bird does appear to be on the small side but the tail seems a
little long.  There are a couple of poses where the bill does seem to have a
small arch to it or a decurved appearance which certainly points to Costa's.

It would be nice if some experts could weigh in on this bird.  Another thing
that would be nice is if there are/were some shots of the bird sitting as most
likely it could be determined if it was a Ruby-throated/Black-chinned thing
versus a Costa's.

-----
Mark Peterson
Colorado Springs