Highlights of today's trip out on the plains east of Fort Collins:

Weld CR 31 just north of SR 14
Swainson's Hawk (1 dark phase) FOS

Crom Lake (Weld CR31 s of CR90)
Bonaparte's Gull (1 first winter)  eating what appeared to be adult midges all
around the shore of the water east of CR31, FOS
Wilson's Snipe (1) FOS
Lesser Yellowlegs (1)
Greater Yellowlegs (2)
Wood Duck (1 female)
Vesper Sparrow (1)  FOS
Cackling Goose (still several dozen present)

lots of other common species

Weld CR100 at Coal Creek
Ferruginous Hawk (pair on a nest)  due south of the creek crossing (this might
be a gettable pair for tourists in search of this target species)

Weld CR100 w of CR57
Burrowing Owl (1) finally, FOS

Weld CR 57/CR100
Loggerhead Shrike (2)   FOS, watched one totally consume a small, long-tailed
rodent (baby deer mouse, silky pocket-mouse, what?)
American Tree Sparrow (1)   LOS?, down along the water east of the intersection
in what is known as Norma's Grove - this is a fairly late bird
not much else of interest

GR96 between Weld CR69 and 77
Chestnut-collared Longspur (at least 5)
McCown's Longspur (several)
[I continue to be impressed by the multi-species grasshopper population along
this road!]

Jackson Reservoir (Logan County)
Red-breasted Merganser (1 pair)
Townsend's Solitaire (few)
Bonaparte's Gull (at least one adult, way out from the west shore)
Bald Eagle (1 subadult)
Great-tailed Grackle (1)
Yellow-headed Blackbird (at least 6)
Western Grebe (1 whole individual)
Total of 38 species, but basically very lackluster (I don't have a scope at
present, so was unable to check waterfowl far out on the lake.  It was my
distinct impression there weren't very many, anyway.  Be advised, the water
level is high, so no shore, to speak of.  Also there is heavy activity all
around Jackson by a company named Dawson Geophysical, laying out seismic cables
across the dirt roads and into the prairie in search of gas and oil - can't be
good, can it?)

Dave Leatherman
Fort Collins