Hello, Birders.

I've enjoyed all the reports thus far of the many birds put down in the recent
storm. Especially the reports of very high numbers of common spring migrants.
To paraphrase something that Chris Wood recently said to me, "Rarities are
okay, but phenomena are especially cool."

With regard to the recent phenomenon, I was struck, although not surprised, by
the somewhat southerly and easterly component of the many birds reported (e.g.,
Vermilion Flycatcher, Black Phoebe, Summer Tanager, Black-throated Sparrow,
Rusty Blackbird). And on that note, I was interested in the Cassin's Vireo
reported by Bill Kaempfer & Co. Could it, in fact, have been a Blue-headed?
Given the date (perfect for Blue-headed) and especially the broader
"phenomenon," I would venture that Blue-headed might be more likely. (I,
personally, regard the Cassin's/Blue-headed problem to be a big ID challenge,
and I also note that Cassin's is rare--at best?--east of the Rockies in the
spring.) Well, just an idle speculation; I wasn't there, of course.

For a truly striking example of the potential of spring storms to push birds in
from elsewhere, check this out:

And we still have a whole day left to this weekend!

Ted Floyd
tedfloy...@hotmail.com
Lafayette, Boulder County, Colorado

Ted Floyd
Editor, Birding

Please support the American Birding Associaton: Click on
http://www.goodsearch.com/?charityid=884482 to search the internet.

Every search provides support to the ABA's programs in Education, Conservation,
and Publications.

Please visit the website of the American Birding Association: http://www.aba.org