From north-central Boulder County: Linda Andes George asked me to
post the following message as she can no longer post to cobirds:
  I've had a housewren in the yard, multiple tree
swallows scouting the birdhouses and being routed by a miserable but
stout
little house sparrow, and many kettles of hawks flying high overhead
(biggest group about 2 dozen, too high to identify). Also, friends in
Nederland report first BT hummer at their house on April 15th! They
"hope
the scout survived the storm."

The house sparrow and I are at loggerheads (where's a shrike when I need
one?) I chase it off constantly. And the starlings have ripped the
duct tape
off the kestrel house once already; now I have to go back up the tree
and
screw on a trapdoor they can't move. Sigh. --Linda Andes George

 From East Boulder County: We (the Cushmans) also have had a house
wren for 2 days. The Swainson's hawks that have nested here for 4
years returned April 19 to reclaim their old nest, which is just 2
trees away from nesting kestrels. We get a bit of drama from that
juxtaposition. Red-winged blackbirds dive bomb the kestrels, which
dive bomb the Swainson's, which dive bomb me.

South Teller Lakes: Yesterday a bald eagle swooped down for a sip of
water at a snowmelt pool in the meadows just north of Teller Lakes
where a barn swallow swooped happily after a big insect hatch.

Union Reservoir (Weld County--just barely): many pelicans, various
ducks, & a couple western grebes doing their synchronized bows & nods
this morning.

Carol Cushman, East Boulder County