15 days ago I related seeing American Crows on nest on the CU-Boulder
campus.  Now, over the past two days I have watched another (presumably)
pair of crows undertake nest building.  The nest is about 50-60 feet up
in a honey locust about 50 feet outside my office window.  I say that
this is presumably another pair of crows because the nest is about 200
yards from the one I discussed earlier.  Perhaps I should check to see
if there is any activity over at that site.  It could have failed due to
wetness, wind or predation.

Monday morning I discovered the nest as I walked it after parking.  I
was alerted by odd and unfamiliar crying sounds that I quickly
discovered to be emanating from a loose layer of sticks in the tree.
Once in my office I was able to see crows fly in with twigs in their
beaks.  Each twig was 12 to 15 inches in length.  Many of them had
emerging greenery and they looked like they were coming from a nearby
elm which was at about that stage of leafing out.  Indeed, both just
flew out of the elm into the nest with twigs.  By this morning, the nest
had grown considerably; it probably has a diameter of about two feet, is
close to one foot deep and is dense enough to no longer be "see
through".   Occasionally one of the birds will bring some other type of
material to the nest-it looks like mulch for nest lining perhaps.
Through the morning they continued to bring twigs and weave them into
the nest from the inside.

Bill Kaempfer

Boulder