Yesterday I reported seeing what I was thinking was a young-of-the-year
Swainson's Hawk out on its own at Crow Valley.  In the Clark and Wheeler hawk
field guide the authors state (photo and caption on page 199 in my second
edition) many young birds arriving back on the breeding grounds for their
second summer show up with whitish heads.  After arriving in spring, juveniles
then do a complete molt into Basic 1 Plumage.  A second molt into Definitive
Basic Plumage occurs late in summer or fall (sometimes on the wintering
grounds).  The bird I saw was still in Juvenile Plumage and apparently
misinterpreted.  FYI, the CO Breeding Bird Atlas 1 book lists May 29 as the
onset of fledging and since everything seems to be getting earlier and earlier,
maybe a two-week extension of this phenomenon wasn't that big of a stretch.
The latter interpretation seems the less likely, although it will be
interesting to see what BBA II discovers.

Dave Leatherman
Fort Collins