I birded below the CU stadium and Rec Center between 1:30 and 2:30 this
afternoon and was amazed at the number of Western Tanagers!  There were
DOZENS.  A Swainson's Thrush was softly singing in the thick vegetation
where the path starts up the hill below the stadium.  Several other
Swainson's(?) thrushes were softly calling to each other in the thickets
below the Rec. Center.  A female Yellowthroat was incessantly chipping in
the bushes by the bridge and a silent wood-pewee flitted in the tree tops.
 I heard the Warbling Vireo singing in trees on the hillside below the
stadium but I do not know how to i.d. the eastern vs. western race.

Many territorial Yellow Warblers were singing and others were chipping in
the trees.

I did not see Walter's mystery warbler and missed the No. Waterthrush...and
probably other birds.

Paula Hansley
Louisville