Hi all,

Sorry this is a late post, but I got back from the Fraser, CO area late
thursday night.

On thusday, June, 4, I saw [on private property], 1, male Red-headed
Woodpecker, off of county rd. 83. The area is near to Devil's Thumb Ranch,
Fraser Colorado.

I was checking my bird nesting boxes when I saw one male Red-headed Woodpecker
at the entrance hole to a Mountain Bluebird box. This area is in Grand cty.,
and at 8,200 feet. A male Mountain Bluebird came in to chase the woodpecker,
and the woodpecker jumped off from the Mountain Bluebird box. The woodpecker,
after jumping off of the box, pursued and chased the m. Mountain Bluebird away,
so that the male Mt. Bluebird disappeared down the valley.

One week before this date while checking the nesting boxes, I found a f.
Mountain Bluebird incubating inside this exact box. I presume or guess that she
or chicks were in the box.

I came back to this same area about 30 minutes latter and did not refind the
Woodpecker.

I have never seen a Red-headed Woodpecker in Middle Park before, not to say
they haven't been sited.

The area where I have Bluebird boxes placed, is a very large, large, open
grassy meadow, near a creek , where there are gobs of flying and ground
insects. The immediate mountains next to the meadow have many dead Lodgepole
Pine trees, [dead from the Pine bark beetle]. Since the dead Lodgepole Pines
are being cleared there is alot more grass coming up amongst the existing Pines
and in the clearings.

I'll check the same area again in the future.

Happy Birding!

Tina Jones

Littleton, Jefferson County, CO.