I was very excited when Brandon Percival showed us (the participants of a field
trip) the Eurasian collared Dove in south-east Colorado many years ago. I was
pretty pleased with myself (at that time) that I could tell it apart from the
Mourning Dove...
Then I started to realize that their numbers were increasing at an amazing
rate. It made me think about the Passenger Pigeons who were present in
mega-numbers before their extermination. I thought the ECOD's  might just be
filling the niche left empty by the Passenger Pigeons. Kind of puts a different
perspective on this, doesn't it ? I wonder if the pigeons were disliked as much
as the ECOD's and they were exterminated on purpose ? Anyone knows ?
Cecile Lee
Elbert