There is no comparison between Passenger Pigeons and Eurasian Collared
Doves.  As late as the mid 1800s there were multiple billions of
Passenger Pigeons.  Alexander Wilson estimated seeing ONE FLOCK pass by
his home in very early in the 1800s with 2,000,000,000 birds-ONE FLOCK!
Of course it was over one mile wide and 240 miles long.  Meanwhile the
US had fewer than 25,000,000 people in 1850 so that would be 80 birds
per person in that one flock.  He further estimated that this flock
would require about 17 million bushels of food per day! The primary
natural food was nuts and acorns.   That the Passenger Pigeon was
exterminated by adverse competition with man is absolutely true-but it
wasn't hunted to death.

During the 19th Century the eastern US was virtually deforested.  This
was bad news for the Passenger Pigeon.  They were woodland birds  and
communal nesters-no trees, no nuts and acorns.  But ever worse for the
pigeons was the fact that they were communal (and fairly slow) breeders.
Single trees could have triple-digit nests and the nesting areas were
immense-scores of square miles in a single communal colony-and their
breeding biology rather unusual.  The pigeons could survive massive
hunting pressure especially from a species that they probably
outnumbered hundreds to one.  What they could not overcome was the loss
of vast contiguous forests for food and nesting habitat.

Bill Kaempfer

Boulder