Eighteen birders participated in the Boulder Bird Club First Sunday Bird (and
Toad) Walk this morning. Highlights included at least two, and maybe three
Green Herons, Snowy Egret, Wood Ducks with young. A juvenile Green Heron
perched close at the top of a tree for great looks for all. We saw at least a
dozen toads on the trails scattered over a wide range. Most were about 3" long,
but some were tiny, about 3/4". Photos were taken of the little guys, and I
will try to identify them later. The complete bird list, 38 species:
American White Pelican, 2
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Snowy Egret, nice close views
Green Heron, 2 or 3
Canada Goose
Wood Duck, two females and several young
Mallard
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Swainson's Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Killdeer
Spotted Sandpiper
Mourning Dove
Rock Pigeon
Great Horned Owl, perched in the open for great looks as it was being harassed
by a gorgeous male Bullock's Oriole while we were being harassed by hordes of
mosquitoes
Belted Kingfisher, only one; sad decline here recently
Northern Flicker
Eastern Kingbird
Tree Swallow, many including four perched youngsters affording nice scope views
Cliff Swallow
Barn Swallow
Blue Jay
Black-billed Magpie
Black-capped Chickadee
House Wren, several were perched very high in the trees; made us wonder if they
were trying to escape the mosquitoes
American Robin
Yellow Warbler
Song Sparrow
Western Meadowlark
Red-winged Blackbird
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
Bullock's Oriole
House Finch, feasting, as were American Goldfinches, on the incredible crop of
thistle, many about five feet tall
Lesser Goldfinch, one heard only
American Goldfinch

David Waltman