Hello, Birders.

Earlier today, Sunday, July 5th, I heard at least 5 Cassin's Sparrows along the
road up north to the trailhead for Rabbit Mountain, Boulder County. This is
55th Street, although it is 53rd street as you approach from Highway 66.

These Cassin's Sparrows are easy as the Lefthand Reservoir birds are reported
to be hard! You can hear them right along the road. In fact, you have to. You
cannot leave the road, lest you get blown up. (Seriously; read the signs.)
Directions: Park your car or bike in the pullout on the left (west) side of
55th Street 0.5 mile south of the turnoff (right, east) to the Rabbit Mountain
trailhead. Walk south for 0.5 mile from this pulloff, listening to the birds on
the west side of the road. I suspect there were a fair bit more than the 5 I
heard in there, but, again, access is only from the road. Along the east side
of the road, I heard at least 4 Grasshopper Sparrows.

The whole rest of 55th Street was a sonic marvel in the 4am-6am hour. Along
with the Cassin's and Grasshopper Sparrows, I heard 1 Great Horned Owl, 4
Common Nighthawks, 3 Common Poorwills, 4 Say's Phoebes, 3 Rock Wrens, 3 Canyon
Wrens, 15 Vesper Sparrows, 22 Lark Sparrows, 1 Savannah Sparrow, 9 Blue
Grosbeaks, and 5 Lazuli Buntings.

Interesting were 1 Cordilleran Flycatcher, 8 Bullock's Orioles, and 1 Pine
Siskin. All were outside normal breeding habitat, but it's July, which means
lots of stuff is moving around. Especially Bullock's Orioles, which are well
underway now with their early-summer "molt migration" to the Desert Southwest.

Ted Floyd
tedfloy...@hotmail.com
Lafayette, Boulder County, Colorado

Ted Floyd
Editor, Birding

Please support the American Birding Association: Click on
http://www.goodsearch.com/?charityid=884482 to search the internet.

Every search provides support to the ABA's programs in Education, Conservation,
and Publications.

Please visit the website of the American Birding Association:
http://www.aba.org