The Boulder Bird Club has a few trips planned for August. Our trips are
free(except for gas money, food and park fees) and all are welcome to
attend.
August 2nd Sunday 2009
First Sunday Birding
8:00 AM to 11:00 AM
Walden Wildlife Habitat. Meet at Cottonwood Marsh Parking lot at 8 a.m. and
bird the Walden/Sawhill Complex until 11 a.m. Be prepared for hot weather.
Leader: Joe Krieg 303-651-0565

August 15th Saturday 2009
Walden Ponds with Ted Floyd
7:30 AM to 11:00 AM
Bird Walden Ponds with expert birder and author Ted Floyd. He is the editor
of Birding magazine and the author of The Smithsonian Field Guide to Birds
of North America and has amazing abilities for hearing and seeing birds.
Meet at 7:30 AM at Cottonwood Marsh for a walk until perhaps 11:00 AM. Bring
snack, water, sun and weather protection, bug juice, etc.  Leader: Ted
Floyd  tfl...@aba.org

 August 29th and 30th, Saturday & Sunday 2009
Birding North East Colorado with Bill Kaempfer
6:00 AM
Join Bill Kaempfer on a two-day trip to Northeastern Colorado visiting
Prewitt Reservoir, Sterling , North Sterling State Park , Tamarack, Red Lion
and Jumbo Reservoir State Wildlife Areas for fall migrants including
shorebirds, warblers and eastern specialties. The trip will leave from the
Niwot Park-and-Ride at 6:00 AM on Saturday, August 29th and proceed east. We
will return by 6:00 PM on Sunday. Please plan on car pooling with at least 3
(and hopefully 4) per car since the trip will cover several hundred miles.
Bring all your optical equipment, lunches for Saturday and Sunday, snacks,
water, comfortable footwear, appropriate clothing for this time of year and
day, hats as well as insect and sun protection. Cars will need to have
Colorado State Parks passes. We will stay at motels in Sterling , and there
are several (Super 8, Ramada, Best Western, etc.) at the Sterling
interchange on I-76. Dinner on Saturday evening and breakfast on Sunday
morning will be at restaurants in Sterling (see Gary Matthews’ “Hungry
Birder in Sterling ” article in the 2007 volume of Colorado Birds). Please
let Bill know if you plan on coming by contacting him after August 1st at
kaemp...@colorado.edu or 303-954-8998

Also in September we have a trip that did not make the newsletter deadline
and more information is available at our website  www.boulderbirdclub.org

JUST ADDED!
September 5th Saturday 2009
Wildlife Walk on Flagstaff Summit with Jeffry Mitton
8:00 AM to 11:00 AM
Many of you know our host Jeff Mitton from his fascinating and informative
pieces in the Boulder Daily Camera. He is a professor of Biology at CU in
the Ecology and Evolution Department and he writes with authority on
subjects from tiny bugs and wild flowers to the trees and wild animals that
inhabit our foothills. If you have enjoyed reading his in depth closeups of
wildlife in his column, you will certainly like hearing about how they
interconnect in our world. This walk will have a wider focus than merely
birds. Lonny Frye will colead in case we find some unusual birds that our
host may be unfamiliar with. We will meet up at the parking area adjacent to
the Flagstaff Nature Center at the Flagstaff Summit 3.5 miles up Flagstaff
road at 8:00 AM and explore from there. Remember that out of Boulder county
cars must pay parking fee($3.00) and the lot can be crowded. Call a friend
to carpool. Bring the usual sun and weather protection and binocs, water,
etc. For more info contact Lonny 303 931 9131 or lonny_f...@yahoo.com or
mit...@colorado.edu

Great birding to all this summer and I hope you can attend some of our
trips.
Lonny Frye
Trip Coordinator for the Boulder Bird Club
www.boulderbirdclub.org